Exploring Naxos in a Day
A Guide for Families and Adults
Naxos, the largest of the Cyclades island group in the Aegean Sea, is a hidden gem waiting to be explored. With its rich historical background, stunning landscapes, and vibrant local culture, it’s an ideal destination for both families and adults looking to make the most of their day in this beautiful Greek island. Here’s how you can soak in the essence of Naxos, whether you’re traveling with kids or just adults.
Morning: Historical Beginnings and Scenic Views
• Start at the Portara: Begin your day with a visit to the Portara, the iconic ancient marble gateway standing on the islet of Palatia. It’s a fantastic spot for family pictures with the backdrop of the Aegean Sea. The history behind this unfinished temple dedicated to Apollo will spark the curiosity of both kids and adults.
• Explore the Old Market: After soaking in the views at the Portara, head into the Old Market in Chora. It’s a maze of narrow streets filled with shops, where kids can look for souvenirs and parents can enjoy a cup of Greek coffee.
• Hiking to Mount Zeus: For those seeking adventure, start your day early with a hike to Mount Zeus. This trek offers breathtaking views and leads you to the highest point in the Cyclades. The summit is the perfect spot for capturing panoramic photos of the island.
Afternoon: Cultural Immersion
• Naxos Castle: Spend your afternoon exploring the Naxos Castle (Kastro). This Venetian castle houses museums that are both educational and entertaining for children. Don’t miss the Archaeological Museum of Naxos located here.
• Puppet Show at the Castle: Check if there’s a puppet show happening in the castle grounds, a delightful experience for kids.
• Winery Tour: Visit a local winery in the afternoon. Naxos is known for its superb wines. A tour will not only offer insights into winemaking but also provide an opportunity to taste some unique local varieties.
Evening: Sunset and Traditional Greek Night
For Both Families and Adults:
• Sunset at the Temple of Demeter: Around sunset, make your way to the Temple of Demeter. This 6th-century temple offers a peaceful atmosphere and stunning views of the sun setting over the hills.
• Greek Night in Chora: End your day with a traditional Greek night in Chora. Whether you’re with family or adults-only, the experience of Greek music, dance, and cuisine under the stars is not to be missed.
Remember, Naxos is an island that caters to all tastes, offering a blend of history, culture, and natural beauty. Whether you’re a family seeking fun and
educational experiences or adults looking for adventure and relaxation, Naxos in a day can be a memory to cherish for a lifetime.